In Oregon, it is illegal to drive without liability coverage. See ORS 806.010.
The minimum insurance a driver must have is:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability
- $25,000 per person;
- $50,000 per crash for bodily injury to others; and
- $20,000 per crash for damage to others’ property.
- Personal injury protection
- $15,000 per person.
- Uninsured motorist
- $25,000 per person; and
- $50,000 per crash for bodily injury.
You must give your insurance policy number every time you register a vehicle, or when you buy a light vehicle trip permit.
Some vehicles aren’t required to have insurance. You can find those exemptions in ORS 806.020.